Monday, July 19, 2010

Hi from a different continent this time. I made it into Buenos Aires this morning, around 9:15 AM local time (7:15 AM Minnesota time) on about 3 hours of sketchy airplane sleep. Luckily my host mom Sara, who is hilarious and speaks 100mph, has been either serving me cafecitos (little cups of coffee) or taking me to meet the neighbors, who also serve me cafecitos, all day long and I'm still awake. It's a little bit cold here today, around 50F and rainy, but the city is awesome. My neighborhood, Palermo, is one of the nicer ones and Sara and I walked to the corner store to buy a plug convertor so I can use my computer and other electronics in Argentina. We also strolled down by the zoo but today is probably not the best day to explore, since my nose felt like it might fall off after being in 90F Minnesota weather for the past few months.
My room is really little but more than sufficient as I brought hardly any things and I also have my own little bathroom (with a bidet I might add). I'm just starting to settle in and orientation starts tomorrow. So far I've mostly shown Sara family Christmas photos, which she loved, and met another boy who is staying in the other cuerpo (tower) of my apartment building with a hilarious host mom named Christina. There's a dog but I haven't even attempted to remember its name and one of Sara's four children, Guillermo, is currently living in the third bedroom as he is in the process of buying an apartment.
Mom, Sara loved the chocolates, honey, blueberry jam and wild rice. She's not too sure what to think of the maple syrup since I did a really poor job describing what pancakes are to her. I told her that I will just have to teach her how to make them and she can judge it then. (She originally pulled tortillas out of the fridge when I tried to explain what pancakes are, thinking that's what I meant. As if I wouldn't just say tortilla if that's what I meant.)
I'll write more in a few days but I just need to settle in now - and I'm glad I made it alive and didn't lose any luggage since a boy from Madison lost his only suitcase.

P.S. Guillermo just turned off "Telephone" by Lady Gaga and Beyonce and left the apartment.

No comments:

Post a Comment